Saturday, June 16, 2007

Hallelujah!!!

By a vote of 45 to 151, the Massachusetts legislature has defeated an amendment to ban same-sex marriage in their state constitution. They needed 50 votes to get the measure on a statewide ballot for voters to approve a constitutional amendment that would take away rights that have already been granted. I have to say, I'm a bit surprised. Unlike my hubby, I'm much more pessimistic when it comes to the Christianists and homophobes efforts to enshrine their bigotry in law. Homophobia, I believe, is much more visceral and prevalent in the American psyche than many in the gay community would like to believe. We often think that America is less racist, less intolerant, more accepting. I think that is true to some extent, but, when kids still call each other faggots when they wish to insult, and the press ignores stories of gay bashings, and churches are allowed to push their religious views in government, I think we have a long way to go and society has a lot to learn. We're getting there. Itty bitty step by itty bitty step. My friends say I'm too impatient. Another minute in second-class citizenship status is too long in my opinion.

In our state, we passed a domestic partnership bill, watered down from civil unions because it would be more "palatable". I think this is a great, progressive step, but I do take issue with having to settle for a luke-warm civil right when it's still 2nd class citizenship. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the author of "The Quiet Gay Revolution"that we have made some serious progress in the last decade on equality in American society. I just think that we're spending too much energy on playing the "let's not shock others" game in an effort to please everyone. There comes a point when walking on eggshells around the elephant in the room is a bit ridiculous! It took me a long time to understand the proud chant, we're here, we're queer, get used to it! I feel that more and more. Meanwhile, our domestic partnership law is now being fought by some more bigots who want to interfere in something that doesn't affect them in the least. They are mounting a ballot initiative campaign to overturn this law. If they gather the signatures, I think they need 50,000, then the law will be delayed from implementation in January 2008 until it can be voted on in the November 2008 elections. The consensus is that they will indeed get the signatures. Like the last anti-gay ballot initiative, the signature gatherers set up tables at various bigot churches around the state. After leaving the Sunday worship service of your choice where they teach about the love of God, you can stop by and show your hate filled soul by signing the initiative petition. Why is it legal for churches like this to sponsor any political initiative campaign at all? Why do they get to influence elections issues and keep their tax-free status? I want to ask straight folks if I can vote on your marriage? Frustration is not the word for what I feel. It's actually a simmering rage. Now do you understand why I'm a bit more than impatient?


Arthur Silber has another wonderful essay posted on his blog yesterday. It gives a perspective of his own growing up as a gay man . He is a little older than me, but his experiences are similar to my own. He is right, most people don't realize the near constant hurt that our society exerts on those of us who are gay/lesbian. We are reminded in almost every magazine, TV show, newspaper article, movie, media commercials, that we are on the outside. Our feelings, our opinions, our contributions are not so much hated, though they are often hated, but invisible. It's getting better. Things are not as hostile as they used to be. The mainstream media still trots out the Jerry Falwells (good riddance to bad, Christianist bigot rubbish!) and Rick Santorum. At least they are discussing the issue. Whenever, topics like same-sex marriage come up in the news, like the recent vote in Massachusetts it's less sensational than it used to be. It's now just mentioned briefly in passing, while the issue of Paris Hilton's jail experience is SO much more important and needs to be reported on, photographed and updated on an hourly basis! To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if that's good or bad.

So, I take a big breath, relax, smile and remember that somewhere in the U.S. it is legal to be married to my husband. Way to go Massachusetts!!!!!

P.S. My husband and I are celebrating 3 years of marriage this week. Another hallelujah moment!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliantly stated. As a recently married woman (to a woman) who is also sick of being second class - my answer is moving to the UK where homophobia may be just as prevalent but we can at least get legally hitched (even if they don't call it marriage) and also my wife is British.

You are right though - one more second of second class citizenship is too much. Love the blog, read it regularly.

- - Mel