Friday, February 16, 2007

I Heart Gay People!

If gay and lesbian people are given civil rights, then everyone will want them! ~Author unknown

As you may know,
John Amaechi, a NBA player for the Utah Jazz (Utah of all places!) has come out of the closet as an openly gay man. This along with the Snickers snafu created some real dialogue lately about what is and is not bigotry in the mainstream media. Sometimes my frustration rises above what is bearable when I witness the snail-pace that gay civil-rights are changing in this country. Then I remember that it wasn't all that long ago that people in the media would never even say the word gay, especially without a smirk and a nasty joke. My hats off to Mr. Amaechi for his courage in coming out in a very closed, overtly homophobic profession as professional male athletics. It can't be easy, it never is, but he has taken a great step forward for all of us. I wish him well.

Meanwhile, former NBA player, Tim Hardaway, ranted about his own bigotry problems. He said in a recent radio interview:

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known. I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people," he said. "I'm homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States."

I find it very interesting that a African-American man of all people should express this kind of vitriol. I guess when you are a rich athlete you are above all that. He later apologized for his statement, an apology I feel is a bit convenient to make. Especially since the NBA has dropped him from participating in events for the All-Star weekend in Las Vegas. Apparently Hardaway learned the hard way that making locker-room rants as a representative for the NBA you'd better be prepared for the consequences. Hardaway was already in Las Vegas and now has to cool his heels. Thank you NBA for standing up for decency! I'm pleasantly surprised at this

No comments: